Amanda Lynn's Blog

My life. In Ontario. With a baby. And Art school.

Monday, May 29, 2006

Hark Was that an Idea for Art I Heard?

Today, I was driving home from school with Jacob in the car. We have our first heat wave (argh!) already and it was 33 degrees + 1000 degrees humidity, and Jacob was tired and sick. He didn't have a drink so the was cranky, hot and thirsty in the heat. It's about a 10 minute drive home, and he was very sad. In desparation I gave him his father's stereo cords to chew and investigate because he'd already thrown the water bottle and cellphone (even that!) away, and started singing him his current favourite song (from me) "I've Been Workin' on the Railroad", while rubbing my end of the cords on the back of the front seat to make an entertaining noise.

I sang it about 30 times, with this funny percussion from the cords and I thought "I should record this - it's the true sound of parenting. Ridiculous things you never thought you'd do, say, rattle, rub - all to keep your child happy. I remember when Jacob was first born I was too shy to sing to him, I felt so silly. I think it's because I had no idea what it was really like.

So I thought I could collect sounds from parents of their lives and create a soundscape installation and install it in a big, dark, cool room, so that people could walk through the room and explore the inside of parenting in a way that I think is very novel. Like the real parenting.

What'dya think? I'm looking for volunteers to send me off-key singing, rattling of keys, banging on pots, anything. Who knows if I'll do anything, but atleast I have an idea. Yeah!

3 Comments:

  • At 11:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You are such a uniquely creative person my dear cousin!! I am trying to figure out what kinds of crazy things I have done as a parent in those situations, but I think I am so immersed in the bizarre world of parenting that I don't even know what is odd any more, hee, hee. Hope you are all able to keep reasonably cool, we've had another run of rainy weather here on the "Sunshine Coast" so a little envious, take care, love to you all,
    Julie

     
  • At 8:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey,waiting for the next update, how has your summer been going??? How is Martin's foot? I am hoping it is much better by now, although I am learning that it does take lots of time and patience for these incredible creations to heal. Hope to talk to you soon, hi to all and kisses to Jakob!
    love cousin Julie

     
  • At 8:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oops I mean Jacob, for some reason I always think you guys spelled it with a 'k'. Sorry,
    Julie

     

Post a Comment

<< Home