Amanda Lynn's Blog

My life. In Ontario. With a baby. And Art school.

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Where's the Art?

Ok, some of you may be reading my headline-y thingy at the top and thinking "What about the art school?". Indeed. What about the art school. When I decided to quit my career in insurance adjusting and go to art school, it was hard to do. But, I hoped to have a family soon and starting a job just to go off on maternity leave seemed like no fun. And after all the deaths we'd recently experienced, doing something fun seemed imperative. So, I took a great big leap of faith in the world, and decided to go see if I could transfer my ancient credits from McGill and go to art school at Western. I was overjoyed, and shocked, when all my credits were accepted, and off I went to sign up for classes.

Then I realized that the school also has a linguistics program, which I love, so I decided to do a double major and took courses in both areas. Now this year I could only take one course, and no art courses fit, so it was more linguistics. And I'm taking a spring course now, also linguistics. And I find myself thinking - what about art?

The thing is I love art, I love making it, I loved making it last year. In fact, it was probably the biggest thing that allowed me to cope with losing my first baby in an early miscarriage, and then having an unstable pregnancy with the second one. I made art about it, and about my life. But I'm loving the linguistics too. I used to miss my job for its intellectual challenges. Now I could care less, because I'm much more interested in linguistic theory than insurance case law and I get the same mental stimulation from it.

So, I am anxiously awaiting my course calender for September, and hoping I can manage to squeeze at least one art course, and a linguistics course and who knows what else into next year. I want to keep with the art - it's the main thing that I want to be doing. But the linguistics keeps sucking me in, like a cheap novel or a good dessert.

So there. That's where the art is. In my head I guess. I had some huge art ideas just after Jacob was born (like making human prints with Gentian Violet), but they seem to be fading away now. Perhaps while I'm waiting for September, this blog will jog them in my memory.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home